Now that I've freed up a bit more 'me time' I've been catching up with my etsy shop. Taking new photos, renewing expired items, listing new things. As I was glancing through the shop to see which of the newly listed items people were looking at I remembered the marvellous Heartomatic tool which churns some glorious stats out for etsy sellers.
In my freelance work one of the things I do a lot of is evaluation so I do place quite a lot of faith in stats. I know they're only part of the picture but they can be a useful starting place to decide where to look in more detail.
So I started looking through the heartomatic list to try and work out which items are most popular. And here's where stats get tricky - you can pretty much use them to demonstrate any theory you like, which is not so helpful when you need a clear result.
For example - are my most popular items the ones with the most views? or the ones which most people have marked as a favourite? Or the ones which take the least number of views to mark as a favourite? I'm sure there must be other ways to cut this up too so you can see my confusion.
I don't know what the answer is so for now I'm pitching in the middle and looking at which take the least number of views to end up as the highest number of favourites. Still with me? So that's what you're looking at in these pictures.
All that having been said, it still doesn't tell me why these are more popular. Is it that the images are good? the pricing's right? they hit a trend at the right time? No idea. Yet still I feel the heartomatic is incredibly useful, perhaps one day I'll figure out why!
- Green birdy decoration: 1 heart per 10 views (newly listed so only 1 heart /10 views in total)
- Blue vintage fabric dachshund: 21 views per heart / total 12 hearts and 246 views
- Liberty fabric & mustard sleepy birdy brooch: 26 views per heart / total 1 heart and 26 views
- 60s vintage fabric badge: 28 views per heart / total 3 hearts and 84 views
- Apple 60s vintage fabric dachshund: 36 views per heart / total 3 hearts and 107 views